Aptitude workshops for September 2024 entry are scheduled to take place w/c 19th February 2024 (Monday 19th February to Friday 23rd February 2024).
NB: You are strongly advised to attend the aptitude workshops in February 2024 as, due to the number of applications we receive annually, it is likely that all places will have been offered and accepted following the first round of aptitude workshops.
If your application form is successfully submitted by 31st January, you will be invited to a practical aptitude workshop and group discussion. Aptitude workshops will take place during the week commencing 19th February 2024.
Applicants should expect the aptitude workshop to take place over the course of one day. You cannot prepare anything in advance of the aptitude workshops.
Applicants are considered on the basis of aptitude in their chosen pathway and the criteria laid down in the admissions policy. Aptitude will be demonstrated via a series of pathway-specific tasks from which applicants will be evaluated and scored. Aptitude assessments are made up of three mini-workshops.
The group discussion will be a chance for you to show your knowledge of your chosen pathway, ask questions, discuss your inspirations and aspirations, and clarify options. The discussion will not form part of the aptitude evaluation and you will not be scored on it.
Some important information:
- An aptitude workshop should not be mistaken for an audition. Instead, aptitude workshops resemble the lesson activities for the BTEC qualifications to a) provide students with an insight into the arts specialisms at BOA, and b) to enable teachers to assess if students are suited to the courses on offer.
- Students cannot prepare anything in advance of the aptitude workshops and we do not release any materials ahead of the assessments. Instead, students are immersed in learning activities that resemble the lesson activities for the BTEC qualifications. Applicants should expect to encounter group work, solo work, discussion tasks related to the arts specialisms, and tasks that look for an aptitude for creativity within the chosen arts specialism.
- Students can expect to take part in three workshops on the day of their aptitude assessment, as well as a group discussion task to explore their reasons for applying to BOA.
- We only score students against the aptitude workshops activities. We do not take any written work into account as part of the application process.
- Students will be scored against the following criteria:
- A flexible approach
- A positive response
Special Educational Needs and Students with EHCP:
Please ensure you have informed the Academy (in writing) if you have an EHCP or a specific, diagnosed learning need as we may need to make reasonable adjustments to the aptitude assessments.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need any assistance here.