Open Event format
We look forward to welcoming you to the building and to showing you the facilities we have on offer for courses at Key Stage 4 and Post 16.
This year, to limit the number of visitors on site at any one time we are asking prospective students and parents/carers book an open event ticket in advance.
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, we will not be able to operate our usual open evening activities, which would typically feature members of staff and students from the arts pathway courses, GCSE subjects and A’ Level qualifications. Instead, it is important that we coordinate the number of visitors on site at any one time, as well as only opening up certain sections of the building. However, our opening evening events – although altered – will still enable prospective students and their parents to gain a satisfying impression of BOA.
We will ensure all visitors are able to visit the following:
- An exhibition by Visual Art & Design;
- The television studio, radio suites and broadcast facilities;
- The Games Design New Media suite;
- The Recording Studio and ‘live room’;
- The Learning Resource Centre;
- Examples of rehearsal spaces and studios used by Acting, Dance and Musical Theatre;
- The Technical Theatre Arts workshops;
- Curriculum Support;
- The Fitness Suite;
- Examples of standard classrooms, each displaying details of the GCSE and A’ Level subjects on offer.
There will also be a presentation in BOA Theatre, delivered by the CEO of BOA group (Gaynor Cheshire) and the Principal of BOA (Alistair Chattaway). This is scheduled to last between 30 to 40 minutes and will provide you all with a clear overview of education at BOA. There will also be time for any questions at the end of the presentation. Members of the Senior Leadership Team will be on hand around the building to guide visitors to various spaces, as well as small groups of staff, who will be on hand to answer any questions.
We will also display footage from our more recent showcases and performances on the digital signage that can be found around the Atrium and on Floor 1 of the building, and our promotional videos will be broadcast in the Film & Lecture Theatre throughout the evening.
Prospectus and Course Outlines:
You will be able to pick up a copy of this year’s prospectus during the open evening, which includes a copy of the BOA Application Form. These have been organised into grab bags for prospective students and their parents to take with them. Course outlines – which contain clear details of the topics and units that students will cover for each qualification – will also be available during the open evenings. If prospective students and their parents do not wish to pick up physical copies of the prospectus and course outlines, these are all available on our website to download.
Prospectus and BOA Application Form: https://www.boa-academy.co.uk/prospectus
Following the open evening events next week, our ‘virtual tour’ of BOA will go live on our website on Friday 16th October. You will be able to visit each department or subject area of the curriculum, where you will be able to listen to interviews with members of staff and students, as well as viewing footage of showcases and performances. I am confident that this will provide you with further insight into life and education at BOA.
Health and Safety Guidance:
Due to the coronavirus outbreak, it is important to ensure BOA is a COVID-19 secure environment during the open evening event:
- Visitors should not attend the open evening event if they, a) are displaying any of the known symptoms of the virus, and b) if they have been in contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19.
- All visitors should use the hand sanitising stations at BOA Reception as they arrive and must wear face coverings around the building, unless health issues prevent certain visitors from using these for long periods of time.
- All visitors should follow the guidance on handwashing and ‘catch it, bin it, kill it’ whilst on Academy site.
- BOA Theatre will be cleaned in between the presentations and we will ask ‘bubbles’ to sit together. We will then ensure there is space between each visiting ‘bubble’. All seats are in rows and facing forwards, in line with the guidance from the Department for Education (DFE) and NHS.
- Members of staff will be positioned around the Academy and will be wearing face shields throughout the event. We ask all visitors to respect the 2-metre rule during any interactions with members of staff.
Despite the restrictions placed on all schools and academies at the moment, we are confident that the open evening events will help prospective students and parents/carers gain a fantastic impression of BOA!