Skip to content ↓

BOA Closure Update - 26.05.2020

BOA Closure Update - 26.05.2020

Dear Parents and Carers

RE: Birmingham Ormiston Academy reopening to larger cohorts of students in Years 10 and 12

I plan to write to you all when I officially take up post on 1 June 2020. Given the unprecedented
time that we find ourselves in, however, it is important for students and their families to be clear
about the academy’s arrangements for the forthcoming weeks.
Firstly, I apologise that we have not been able to issue a statement until now. Guidance from the UK
Government and the Department for Education has been slow to arrive, particularly for students in
Years 10 and 12. Whereas guidance for pupils in Reception, Year 1 and Year 6 was released a few
weeks ago, guidance for secondary schools has been delayed. On Thursday 21 May, a short
statement from the Department for Education advised secondary schools to ‘offer some face-to-face
support to supplement the remote education of Year 10 students who are due to take GCSEs next
year’ alongside a message to parents that ‘in the meantime, your child should keep studying at
home for the exams next year.’ The statement also insisted that ‘further details [would] follow
shortly.’ The information can be found here:

On Monday 25 May, a more detailed statement was issued by the Department for Education, asking
for secondary schools to begin to offer some face-to-face support for students in Years 10 and 12
from 15 June onwards, as well as stating how remote learning ‘should remain the predominant
mode of education during this term for pupils in these year groups.’ Schools and academies have
been advised that, in order to reduce the risk of transmission, they should plan to accept ‘a quarter
of the Year 10 and Year 12 cohort… in school at any one time.’ The information can be found here:

There is much for us to consider ahead of re-opening Birmingham Ormiston Academy (BOA) to larger
cohorts of students, especially as the guidance published yesterday asks school leaders to also
consider ways of minimising risks outside of school, which includes the safety of students who rely
on public transport to travel to and from school. The Senior Leadership Team and members of staff
at BOA are currently planning the way forward and I will write to you again at the beginning of next
week with details of the face-to-face support we will offer. In the meantime, I advise all students to
continue accessing the learning activities that have been published via our remote learning

For now, I can confirm that we will not re-open BOA to larger cohort of students during the weeks
commencing 1 June and 8 June 2020. Please note: Arrangements for vulnerable students and
children of key workers who have been in contact with the Pastoral Care Team at BOA over the last
two months will be upheld during these weeks.

Ahead of my communication next week, I do hope you are all keeping safe. In addition, please do
not hesitate in contacting me if you have any queries.
Yours truly,
Alistair Chattaway
Principal from 1 June 2020