GCSE Modern languages: French or Spanish
What will I learn on this course?
• You will develop your ability to use the language effectively in a variety of real life situations
• We will provide a suitable foundation for further study or practical use
• You will develop your knowledge and understanding of French and Spanish speaking countries
• We will provide enjoyment and intellectual stimulation.
How is the course structured?
• Theme 1: Identity and culture (Me, my family and friends; Technology in everyday life; Free-time activities; Customs and festivals)
• Theme 2: Local, national, international and global areas of interest (Home, town, region; Social issues; Charity/voluntary work; Healthy living; Global issues; Travel and tourism)
• Theme 3: Current and future study and employment (My studies; Life at school/college; Education post-16; Jobs, career choices and ambitions)
How will I study?
• The course is divided into the four key skill areas of listening, speaking, reading and writing – each skill area contributes 25% to the final GCSE grade. All skills are examined at the end of the course, with no controlled assessment .
How will I be assessed?
Paper 1 - Listening exam: 35 minutes (Foundation Tier), 45 minutes (Higher Tier). 40/50 marks
Paper 2 - Speaking exam. 7–9 minutes (Foundation Tier) 10–12 minutes (Higher Tier). 60 marks
Paper 3 - Written exam : 45 minutes (Foundation Tier), 1 hour (Higher Tier). 60 marks
Paper 4 - Written exam: 1 hour (Foundation Tier), 1 hour 15 minutes (Higher Tier). 50/60marks
A GCSE grade 5 in any of the languages offered on the curriculum at Birmingham Ormiston Academy (French or Spanish) is one of the qualifications required for the English Baccalaureate.